Register for our Online Hungarian Folk Singing Class!
Mondays, 6-8pm Budapest time (Central European Time, GMT +1)
Beginning March 23, 2020, this class will be held online until further notice.
For the full class description, visit our main page here!
This class will follow what was planned for spring 2020 in our in-person class, with the exception that the regions may change in order to choose songs which are better suited to this online format.
There may be a limit in the number of participants in the online classes.
Please register by Friday before the Monday class if possible. Two easy steps:
1) Pay for the class (see details below).
2) Send an email to email@example.com with the date(s) you plan to attend. If you have never attended a class with Zina before please see the note below.
You will then receive two (or more) emails before the start of the class:
1) The Zoom link to the class.
2) A separate email for each song we will be learning in that class, with a PDF of the song words and an MP3 of the source recording.
Helpful information / FAQs:
How to pay:
The price is 2000 Ft. per class, or 1500 Ft. discounted rate per class for students, seniors, and those who pay for 4 classes at once. You can pay via bank transfer (Hungarian account: 12010240-01612266-00100005), PayPal (paypal.me/zinabozzay or PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org), or Revolut. You may pay for multiple classes in advance in a single payment. Additional donations are welcome. This class price was determined based on the class being held locally in Budapest and making the class accessible to all Hungarians - if you are joining from a different economy (such as in Western Europe or North America), feel free to contribute what feels right to you. Bank transfers should be in forints (HUF) and PayPal/Revolut payments may be made in dollars (USD) or forints (HUF). Contact Zina for other payment methods.
1) If you have never attended a class with Zina before, please include 1-2 sentences in your email about your background in Hungarian folk singing, Hungarian language, and music generally (it's ok to not have any!), to help tailor the class to participant needs.
2) If you are a new participant who has never spoken or sung in Hungarian before, we encourage you to sign up for a pronunciation lesson before the group class, or to orient yourself briefly on your own. In this weekly online group class we will talk through the pronunciation of that week's song words, but will not review the basics of Hungarian pronunciation. We also talk through the song translations.
Please sign on to the online class punctually a few minutes before start time, so we can begin class together. You do not need to download anything to use Zoom (no app needed), but if you have never used Zoom before please go to the link ahead of the class start time to get yourself oriented and test your set-up. You just need a working microphone, speaker or headphones, and camera (the camera is optional, but much better for all participants and the functioning of the class) - by default it will use those built into your device.
How to prepare for class:
If possible, print the pdf of song lyrics, and if you are not able to print, you may find it helpful to write the words on a piece of paper so that you can add details about the melody, translation, etc to that paper during the class. If you will be reading the song words on the screen, please have pencil and paper ready to take notes. It's also a good idea to have a glass of water on hand.
We ask that you not record or videotape the class, bearing in mind that all class materials (audio files and song words) are emailed to all participants. We reserve the right to record the class for documentation purposes.
Thank you, and look forward to seeing you there!